[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck? Prevayler.

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Wed Dec 11 23:14:32 CET 2002

From: <ra-whiteside at attbi.com>

> This is a replacement to normal database technology for managing
> data in a persistent, reliable, crash-recoverable manner.  The
> proponents of this seem to have benchmarks showing it to be a few
> thousand times faster than MySQL, for example. (DAOC uses MySQL?)

The game does not, the Camelot Herald does along with some of the
CSR tools, and I'm currently working on some tools for player data
analysis that will as well.  But the game itself uses home-grown
solutions, including a lot of flat files (hard to beat for speed).
Beyond that I can't really discuss it.  I'll take a look at this
system, but I'm spkeptical of anything making that level of claim
(that kind of speed approaches pre-loaded flat files).

--Dave