[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

Koster Koster
Fri Dec 13 05:47:06 CET 2002

From: Ted L. Chen
> bradley newton haug
>> Raph Wrote:

>>> I frequently see military projects using game-like technology
>>> that took years to make and cost millions of dollars and
>>> probably could have been done in a few weeks by any competent
>>> FPS team in the industry.

>> Goes both ways, I agree.  Flight Sims are a good example here.

> 'game-like' I would say is the operative word.  A lot of things
> can seem similar on top while varying drastically underneath.
> That said, I wouldn't trust using Microsoft Flight Sim in almost
> any research project (yes, I know there are attempts from certain
> people to bridge that gap).  And conversely, I wouldn't want to
> run the latest CAE B747 simulator in my living room.

I am not talking about heavy-duty sims. I am talking about projects
like "we're going to take the Half-Life engine, project it onto a
rooms wall, hire live actors to send the trainee orders via radio,
and build a small interactive scenario where you have to figure out
how to deal with a military jeep car accident in downtown
Mogadishu." Frankly, any of the Tom Clancy games would probably have
been better training. :)

That is just one example. I am not saying that there isn't important
and valuable work and knowledge available there--quite the
opposite. I am saying that the reluctance to find solutions outside
of one's own backyard extends everywhere.

-Raph