[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

bradley newton haug brad at faithanddisease.com
Fri Dec 13 14:12:19 CET 2002

Sean Kelly Wrote:

> That's like going from building garage racers to designing
> automobiles at Ford.  There is definately a happy meduim :) I've
> decided I most prefer smaller-sized companies.  The small dev-team
> environment is great but so are talented, experienced coworkers,
> and enough structure so things like crunch-time never really
> happen.

You'd think, but it's funny how tinkering LPC mudlib guys were using
OO design patterns that weren't implemented at MS for years.  When I
worked on windows it was C jammed inside C++.  Some major parts of
the system were C++ on the outside, but internally were ugly,
procedural and not a joy at all.

I still loved those mud days, the programmers I worked with all
seemed so much more alive and creative than the stodgy app and
simulation coders I worked with later.  And everyone worked for
free, because they wanted to.  Perhaps it was the medium.  I didn't
realize how much I missed it till I came back.  Course now all I get
is 'TOOO HARRD, SHHHHH, STOPPPP, I ALREADY DID IT BESTEST'.  I
regard current offerings as sputtering biplanes, whose success was
dictated by lack of options and happenstance.

> IMO the greatest problem with geeks is their propensity to
> egotism.

Without a licensing body, it's probably going to be like this for a
long time.  Ego is your only defense when it comes to convincing
your boss that an article he read on some website is wrong, or that
the 20 year old mailboy doesn't really know how to achieve warp
speed.  It annoys me that almost every other branch of engineering
has standards and practice testing and licensing, but CS/IT does
not.  That's my theory anyway, CS people develop ego so they can
succeed in the face of idiots, but sometimes that shield is hard to
strip away when it no longer makes sense.

Regards

brad