Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Mon Dec 16 12:11:58 CET 2002

[Justin Stocks]

> In the long run, I'm sure that SCS will bring in more money for
> Sony. More and more players will want to have two characters on
> one server, for whatever reasons, so they'll fork over the extra
> bucks for an additional account.  Sony wins, the player, er, wins
> (?), so everyone's happy. But will it really stop there? I mean,
> we don't even know what the monthly fee will be. At this rate, I'm
> afraid it might be a bit more then the 'usual' $12.95.

Why must they be forced into another account? That seems overly
punitive to me.

As a single-character EQ player, you would think I'd fall in the SCS
camp, but occasionally I'd get bitten by the experimentalist bug and
want to try a new class for a few hours, or perhaps I'd create a
Dark Elf character in order to explore the Dark-Elf home city.

Sure, my support of MCS is based on non-roleplaying/non-immersive
examples, but to me they are a component of an enjoyable MMOG
experience. I believe that the way to expand this market is through
the accommodation of many playstyles. Placing heavy, artificial
limits on players moves a MMOG further into the realm of the
"boutique game" - a rarefied experience that does little to build
widespread consumer interest.

If my multiple-character playstyles place an additional cost burden
on the developer, I am more than willing to pay a reasonable price
to make amends. However, I find the new-account requirement to be an
extremely heavy-handed solution to a legitimate problem.

-Marc