[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Mon Dec 16 12:47:29 CET 2002

[Damion Schubert]

> My suggestion would be: kick people out of their patterns.  Reward
> players for how many different monsters they kill.  Give players
> different goals.  Nudge them to go towards empty areas.  Only
> reward them for the first dragon they kill that day.

> There are a near infinite number of ways to fiddle with the
> rewards (advancement and loot) so that you're encouraging
> exploration and diversity of activity instead of waiting in line
> for 12 hours to kill the same thing you killed yesterday.

Agreed. Here's a reasonable tactic: if a group has been camping Orcs
in a particular place for too long, why not put a note on one of the
corpses saying that a caravan of Orcish plunder will soon be passing
by a certain location a few miles away? Then spawn the encounter at
the desired time.

Make it worth their while, and they'll move.

-Marc