Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Mon Dec 16 21:37:17 CET 2002

Wes Connell wrote:
> Valerio Santinelli wrote:

>> Think about maps, quests completed, NPCs you've talked to and all
>> the info tied to their conversations. A system like the on
>> eyou're proposing would probably be a hell to manage. You would
>> need to be sure to send to the player ALL the data that could
>> ever be needed if you want to cut off the problem of storing all
>> this on your server.

This is probably the toughest problem of all, and I don't have a
good answer for it.

> What if the encryption on the player file has been compromised
> since Bubba last logged in? Will you still let him upload his
> player file?

I'd tell him to apply as cryptanalyst with the his local spooks :-)

Seriously: if you design the encryption scheme properly, every
player would have his own unique fixed key. Even if a single genius
manages to break one player's encryption, he would have to start
from scratch again for a different player. If you want to make it
even more difficult, use an asymmetric encryption.

Btw, another problem to consider is that such a saving scheme could
be used to rollback characters: before a dangerous action, a player
could download his data, then try the action and if it fails, just
restore the character by uploading the saved data. This problem is
not difficult to solve, but still needs to be considere.

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
GPG Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/lars-duening.gpgkey