Heightfield vs. mesh was RE: AC2 was RE: [MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Mon Dec 16 22:35:15 CET 2002

On 12/16/02 2:10 PM, Marc Fielding <fielding at computer.org> wrote:
> [Brian Hook]

>> It looks like, well, a heightfield with a bunch of 3D objects
>> shoved into it.

> Have any recent games taken this approach? I'd be curious to see
> how noticeable the disjunction is.

For "outdoor" areas: AO, AC, AC2, E&B planetside, ... EQ & DAOC
maybe, but it's a little hard to tell just by looking.  If so,
they're very well integrated.

Modelling terrain with NURBS or subdivision surfaces would allow for
much more realistic terrain.  Overhangs, for example.  Look at
UT2003's outdoor-ish playfields for some nice examples.

Amanda Walker