Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Dec 17 00:28:31 CET 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Marc Fielding wrote:

> Why must they be forced into another account? That seems overly
> punitive to me.

> As a single-character EQ player, you would think I'd fall in the
> SCS camp, but occasionally I'd get bitten by the experimentalist
> bug and want to try a new class for a few hours, or perhaps I'd
> create a Dark Elf character in order to explore the Dark-Elf home
> city.

But if that's all you wanted to do, why not go to another server and
do it?

> If my multiple-character playstyles place an additional cost
> burden on the developer, I am more than willing to pay a
> reasonable price to make amends. However, I find the new-account
> requirement to be an extremely heavy-handed solution to a
> legitimate problem.

They also place a burden on the design. Given the (wise) decision to
let people perform some tradeskill abilities offline, allowing
multiple characters would be be the equivalent of turning on faucet
after faucet after faucet, 24 hours a day.

The single character solution also goes a long ways towards stopping
thieves that are stealing from SOE by having multiple people play on
a single account. Won't stop it completely of course, but it reduces
it significantly, I'd say.

--matt