Wes Connell wconnell at kanga.nu
Tue Dec 17 02:34:46 CET 2002

Lars Duening wrote:

>> What if the encryption on the player file has been compromised
>> since Bubba last logged in? Will you still let him upload his
>> player file?

> I'd tell him to apply as cryptanalyst with the his local spooks
> :-)

> Seriously: if you design the encryption scheme properly, every
> player would have his own unique fixed key. Even if a single
> genius manages to break one player's encryption, he would have to
> start from scratch again for a different player. If you want to
> make it even more difficult, use an asymmetric encryption.

  (this is also in response to Adam's part of the discussion)

Who says that the player has to attack the encryption head-on? In
the growing market of the MMOG, I would not be suprised to see a
developer who created the encryption or someone who has access to
keys to be bribed/persuaded/extorted in some way. We all know that
the human segment of the security chain *always* contains the
weakest links. I chose my words carefully when writing that
sentence. I purposely used the word 'compromised' instead of
cracked/hacked/smashed/etc.

  "How did you get around the encryption on the player file?"  "Oh,
  I bought one of the developers a box of Krispy Kream donuts and he
  gave me a program that will decrypt it. Pretty l33t."

--
Wes!
wconnell at kanga.nu