Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Dec 17 05:23:42 CET 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Marc Fielding wrote:
> [Matt Mihaly]

> Because I prefer to do it with in-game friends and in familiar
> environments. With regard to the latter, I'd agree to your point
> if SWG was going to have an EQ-like inability for players to
> modify the environment, thus making all shards geographically
> equivalent. However, SWG allows the placement of structures by
> players; this will result in entirely unique locales. What if that
> Dark-Elf city mentioned above was player-made and unique to my
> server?

Fair enough.

> A simple solution would be to only allow one character per server
> to perform offline construction at a time. New requests for
> offline construction would supercede previous ones.

That's not really a solution insofar as it drastically increases the
number of accounts who will be faucets. Many people will not spend
the points to make their primary character a significant faucet in
an SCS model.

> I wouldn't categorize it as stealing if someone lets family
> members play on his or her account. The true value in a MMOG is
> playing with friends.  The fact that only one character from an
> account may be active at a time is the limiting factor: if you
> want to play with friends, you all need separate accounts.

It violates the contract you agree to when you install the
software. It's stealing. (And, incidentally, that's one reason Raph
cited for going with the SCS model.)

> The flat fee for EQ buys a customer unlimited usage and N
> character slots. Allowing friends and family to play on the same
> account exceeds neither of those resource allocations. On the
> positive side, the ability to let others playtest the game on your
> account just might get them hooked enough to sign up for their OWN
> accounts.

They are theoretically alloted unlimited usage and N character
slots. In reality however, people don't max their resource drain on
SOE. If they expected everyone to max the resource drain, the price
would have to go up I'd imagine.

--matt