Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 17 06:18:12 CET 2002

"rayzam" <rayzam at travellingbard.com> wrote:
> From: "Marc Fielding" <fielding at computer.org>

>> In the following link, Raph defends Sony's limitation of "one
>> character per server per account":

>>   http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/088000.html

> Interesting. From the replies, the 'dabblers' seem to feel they
> won't be able to with 1 character per server, over 10 servers. Why
> is that? My first reaction is that they want to be power-levelled
> by their friends. Is that a Right nowadays?

I'm a casual player myself - what I always liked about multiple
character slots is that I could "wear" a different avatar whenever
the mood struck me.  It is a flexibility that for me makes a product
more retestable.

At the same time I understand and applaud SWG's implementation.
Central MOGs are a constant balancing act to remain a commercial
palatable environment for a very broad consumer base.  Certainly in
UO we saw what happened when player justice was no more tangible
than the time it took to teleport away, log out, and then back in
with Harmless Abby who would stroll in and observe the carwreck from
a more responsibility-free perspective.

Serial MOGs are more closely administerable since their fishbowl is
so much smaller and are a labor of love for a finite audience.

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"