[MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (was Complexities of MMOG Servers)

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Tue Dec 17 18:12:57 CET 2002

>From  Koster, Raph
> From: Dubious Advocate
>> "Jessica Mulligan" <jessica at mm3d.com> wrote:

>>> Part of the definition we came up with then was the capability
>>> to support a minimum of 125 simultaneous players in the same
>>> world instance (server).  It was done that way to separate the
>>> field from Retail Hybrids such as Counterstrike, Quake, et al,
>>> which have online play but can generally support less than 64
>>> simultaneous players on a server.

>> Under this definition a UO emu like POL or RunUO are MMOGs.

> So are most text mud servers.

As is Meridian 59. At its height, at any rate.  Which begs the silly
question: Do you lose your Ms as your player base shrinks? ;-)

Perhaps the distinction shouldn't be based solely on the number of
players.  Or perhaps we should focus on persistence or provision of
service as the criterion for 'the mudlike things we talk about
here'.

--d