[MUD-Dev] Killology (Was: Retention without Addiction?)

Sasha Hart hart.s at attbi.com
Tue Dec 17 18:21:22 CET 2002

[Damion Schubert]

> But I think that we give our youth far too little credit.  They
> know, by and large, that guns kill, and they are more capable of
> seperating fantasy and reality than we seem to think that they
> are.

Since Grossman is keen on the skills of killing people and 'operant
conditioning,' it seems somewhat appropriate to note that an
integral part of an operant is a discriminative stimulus (for
example, the green lights that control pedal pushing at
intersections.) If you take up the operant idea (even superficially)
to talk about kids learning how to use guns and/or being rewarded
for it, for the sake of completeness you also ought to talk about
the discriminative stimuli learned - what the kid is learning about
the appropriate times for the behavior, what should control it.

In other words - What Damion said ;)

  P.S., I'm having a really weird sense of deja vu about this post,
  as if I posted a reply to Damion talking about Grossman a year
  ago.

  As with a lot of the traffic on here, however, searches turn up
  pretty regular cycles in these old topics like responsibility for
  effects on players, or how many players per account, etc. This is
  particularly funny to me because I've been recently toying with
  the bizarre idea of using spectrum analysis to look at behavioral
  variability ;) But the worst would be if I were on some kind of
  one-year timer...