Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 17 18:15:29 CET 2002

From: "Sasha Hart" <hart.s at attbi.com>
> [Travis Nixon]

>> If its not a race, why does it bother you so much that they're
>> winning?

> This isn't Michael's answer, but I have one - because their
> winning is not merely and purely their winning, but has other
> consequences.  'Winning' is not just a state named 'win', but also
> actions and their consequences.

What are these?  Please underscore tangibly how mules are a zero sum
event.  I probably agree with you, but...

I maintain that game worlds are damaged solely by dupe exploits and
poorly planned loot templates.  Guild mules indicate a problem with
economic distribution.  Character mules indicate a problem with
grouping mechanics and shared storage.  Both are easily resolved.
And neither truly damage a world by themselves but rather simply
present a short-term design opportunity.

UO resolved them both, through player-controlled vendors and
housing.  The sole drawback to their approach was unrestricted "on
the main map" housing.  UO may be a morass codebase - but there are
so many valuable design & business lessons it pre-learned for the
next competitor.

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"