Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Dec 18 00:51:49 CET 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Dubious Advocate wrote:
> "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:

>> It violates the contract you agree to when you install the
>> software. It's stealing. (And, incidentally, that's one reason
>> Raph cited for going with the SCS model.)

> There are very few personality types that will NOT disregard a
> rule or law they deem absurd and whose violation does not truly
> damage others.  Some laws are made to be broken.  This is one of
> them.  Machiavelli makes this point in "The Prince" when he
> cautions the wise leader to not pass laws that earn the contempt
> of the populace.

Of course it damages others. It increases bandwidth/customer service
use per account, as Raph pointed out in his explanation.

> We can rant and rave about this *fundamental human behavior*.  Or
> we can as business people take it into account, leverage it, and
> make our business model more successful.

Yep, I agree. That is why I think SOE's decision is an intelligent
one. They're leveraging the fact that family members will still want
to play the game together, and that some of them will buy multiple
accounts. It's a superior business model, particularly because there
are a goodly number of SW:G potential players who are such drooling
fanboys that they will play any Star Wars product, almost
regardless.

> Provide shared storage for the account slots.  When the family
> members grow to love the product rather than have contempt for the
> publisher, they become retained consumer that will buy additional
> licenses so they can play concurrently.  Brand loyalty is
> preferable to legal contract.

Eh. People have short memories. If major games go towards an SCS
model, most will forget they ever felt entitled to violate the
EULA. No harm done.

> Player vs Developer is always a losing mentality, where the
> developer as an ongoing commercial concern is always the loser.

And likewise, the player is also the loser when the game goes under
because it can't support itself. The games exist to make money,
after all. (Again, as Raph pointed out.)

> There are many reasons for SCS.  My observations are the
> considerations that are also taken into balance.

> IMHO :)

Assert yourself, man! ;)

--matt