Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Dec 18 00:56:52 CET 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Marc Fielding wrote:
> [Matt Mihaly]

>>> A simple solution would be to only allow one character per
>>> server to perform offline construction at a time. New requests
>>> for offline construction would supercede previous ones.

>> That's not really a solution insofar as it drastically increases
>> the number of accounts who will be faucets. Many people will not
>> spend the points to make their primary character a significant
>> faucet in an SCS model.

> I'm sorry. I'm not getting your point. Could you please elaborate?

Sure. If I can play multiple characters on a server, limiting me to
one off-line tradeskill character means I will have one off-line
tradeskill character. If you limited me to one character per server,
I will not be making my character an off-line tradeskill character,
because I'll be putting my points into other skills (since, like
most people, I'm not that interested in playing on multiple
servers).

> Well, it's a technical violation of the contract, but with such
> non-approved usage seemingly widespread, why not legitimize it?
> The customer has indicated a preference for the practice. SOE
> stands to gain "free" word-of-mouth advertising from it. Time to
> "embrace and extend."  ;)

People generally exhibit a preference for anything free. That
doesn't mean it's desirable to give it to them, from the provider's
point of view. It's certainly not desirable for Universal Studios to
encourage people to download their movies for free, instead of
buying them on DVD, for instance.

> At most, average usage will be moderately elevated, not maxxed
> out.

Oh, sure, I didn't mean to say it would be maxxed out in practice
all the time, but moderately elevated still = higher cost to the
developer.

--matt