Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Wed Dec 18 10:40:01 CET 2002

[Travis Nixon]

> Which is why it's really hard for me not to feel insulted when
> reading that as one of the primary reasons for only allowing one
> character per server.  In fact, the bit that I did read seemed to
> be trying to lead people into believeing that the "cost" of
> storage space is the most important reason.

> There are many arguments that can be made in favor of
> single-character servers, but storage space is simply not one of
> them.  And releasing information indicating that storage is one of
> the primary reasons for doing it seems rather like an insult to
> your would-be customers' intelligence.

But it's not simply a matter of storage. Raph described the problem
as follows:

  "I'll say it flatly--a character record in SWG is FAR larger than
  you think. There's a business reality to see here. We share fancy
  databases over multiple servers. Said fancy databases cost $X up
  to a certain size. Then they cost ten times that if you go over
  that limit by one byte because you have to buy the 'next size
  up.'"

Seems like a legitimate problem to me.

-Marc