Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 19 07:10:26 CET 2002

From: "Michael Tresca" <talien at toast.net>

> Hmmm.  You mean when I design a game, you don't want to play my
> game?  How can I force you into anything?  Just don't play the
> game. It's a MMORPG amongst a seat of MMORPGs.

> Why must that all be in the same game?  Why can't that be on
> different MMORPGs?

Exactly... ;-)

>> Ironically people like me are in the majority and we consitute
>> the ideal customer.  We pay the same revenue, we burden the
>> system least, we're most likely to interact with other customers
>> in the most positive light, and in general are most likely to
>> stay the longest because we avoid burnout.

> I disagree.  I've watched powergamers try up every option and
> become bored once they've cataloged, indexed, and "beaten" the
> system.  Powergames certainly burden the system to its limits.
> They test every boundary, find any alternative around every
> barrier, and ultimately do whatever it takes to "win."  This
> playstyle is destructive to other playstyles that maybe only
> struggle to advance themselves occasionally, as opposed to every
> gaming second.

I explained how I'm a casual player and then contrasted why casual
players are a preferable customer than power players.  And you
kindly underscored my point nicely.  Saying you disagreed seemed
somehow disconsonant... ;-)

> Sure.  Me too.  And although I'm having difficulty communicating
> this, limiting muling is GOOD for the casual gamer.  Mules do
> everything, making it impossible for the occasional merchant/tank
> to play with others because the mules fill that role.

Is this muling then?  Or simply players playing a desired playstyle
but only part-time?  And if only part-time what is it about the
product as designed that led to this behavior if it's really a
preferred playstyle?

Perhaps I'm projecting here, but I'll give you an example.  I'm a
merchant/explorer, with overtones of rat swatter.  In DAOC my mix
became Rat swatter/explorer, with overtones of merchant.  The
reasons weren't because I found it rewarding to change my mix but
rather DAOC (IMO) isn't friendly to my preference...

... Unless I became a guild mule, a "playstyle" that behaves exactly
as you describe light muling.  I cancelled my subscription shortly
after.

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"