Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Dec 19 09:29:54 CET 2002

On 12/17/02 11:32 PM, Dubious Advocate <dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to see the log analysis that shows shared accounts
> consume a noticable percentage of system resources.

Why?

I'm getting a little perplexed.  SOE makes a policy statement about
SWG.  Suddenly, a bunch of new people (or at the very least, people
who've been lurking but not contributing to MUD-Dev) show up here
and start demanding that Raph justify that policy.

Raph doesn't need to justify that policy.  I think he's done a very
good and patient job of trying to *explain* it, but in the end, SWG
is Sony's game.  They can set it up any way they want to.  If this
doesn't suit some people's ideas of how to play MMORPGs, that's just
fine.  No game is for everyone.

> Watch the emus flourish.  Watch respective market share erode as
> more and more alternatives flood the market.

Doesn't seem to be happening yet.  The market seems to be dominated
by a few established publishers, SOE first among them.  This leads
me to believe that they are not stupid, at least for large values of
stupid.

> Note the consoles are now competiting for online player dollars.

Shrug.  Most of the people I know of who play multiple MMO games
play consoles in addition to them, not in stead of them.  "online
player dollars" are not a fixed resource.

> Consumers have far more options than ever.  The average computer
> game enthusiast doesn't need any one specific product.

Indeed.  The average computer game enthusiast is also spending more
on gaming than ever.  It's one of the few bright spots in the PC
consumer marketplace, which is otherwise pretty dead right now.

I think that warning Sony of dire consequences unless they rearrage
their game is a little silly.  As you noted, there are more choices
than ever.  I don't harangue Toyota for not making the car I want--I
just go buy some other car.  Same with games.

Amanda Walker