Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Dec 19 09:36:48 CET 2002

On 12/18/02 4:55 AM, Vincent Archer <archer at frmug.org> wrote:

> The best example of these is one of the latest MMOG, AC2. In AC2,
> you do not even have the slightest need of placing yourself in a
> position where you get interaction with other players.

Hmm.  I've experienced the opposite.  I spend a good proportion of
my time in town trading loot, buying & selling crafted items, and
seeing groups form up for various quests and such.  You *can* play
solo, but there are distinct rewards for not doing so.  This is
especially true by the time you hit level 20, where the knee in the
xp/level curve kicks in.

> E&B is a good example of things gone bad in that
> direction. They've gone very far into heaping benefits of being in
> a group. All group members contribute an intrinsic bonus to
> various aspects of the group. You get 40% bonus to XP per
> additional group member, if "within level range".

Actually, I'd call E&B an example in the opposite direction.  I've
never found any reason to group at all, except for "grand tours" to
give newbies a bunch of exploration xp.  I suppose leveling might be
faster in a group, but it's pretty fast solo.

Amanda Walker