Scale was RE: AC2 was RE: [MUD-Dev] Total Annilation ofDowntime

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Dec 19 09:42:33 CET 2002

On 12/18/02 7:39 AM, eric leaf <ericleaf at pacbell.net> wrote:

> What do you mean by "narrow down your fov to make it more
> realistic"?

Exactly that--I narrow the fov down to 70 degrees or so.

> I do the exact opposite, for reasons of making it more
> realistic. The "real" field of view of a human is much greater
> than the 90 degrees that are commonly the default view in most FPS
> games.

Yes and no.  Yes, if the monitor covered your entire field of
vision.  No, if you consider the area of your fov subtended by the
screen.

> I'd like to set up maybe 3 monitors someday (as soon as games and
> the OS support it) where I can have a normal full view but avoid
> the tearing effect that exists when I increase my fov to 130 or
> so.

I think that multiple monitors and a cylindrical projection would be
very cool--I've played some flight sims that way.  But this is
increasing fov coverage, which is a little different than increasing
the fov of a single screen.

> Either that of get some VR goggles...

Build a CAVE in your basement ;-).

Amanda Walker