Freeman Freeman
Thu Dec 19 12:25:55 CET 2002

From: Marc Fielding

> Won't the reduction of the skill system to a class system occur
> anyways?  No balancing is perfect, and hardcore players will
> discover collections of skillsets that confer the greatest
> benefits to their desired playstyle(s). With players only allowed
> to have *one* character per server, don't you think the desire to
> "optimize" will be encouraged?

I think if the skill system is broad enough and granular enough then
you'll still see variations based on individual tastes, even between
two players who have very similar playstyles.

"I like hitting things" and "Hitting things is the only thing I
like" will look just alike if you have a "hitting things" class, and
probably will look just alike if you have too few "hitting things"
skills.  But with a broad skill system - lots of different ways of
hitting things, hitting things with different things, etc. then
maybe these two fellows aren't carbon copies of one another after
all.

There's also the aspect of re-skilling: "I used to be the very best
at hitting things a certain way (And see? I still have the title
here to prove it), but then I decided to try hitting things this
other way, and lately I've been curious about making things
explode."

There's always the desire to optimize, but the impact is more
extreme with multi-char, I think, rather than less (well, pending
other things too, like whether the characters can be revised, and so
on).