Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 19 21:20:55 CET 2002

From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com

> I see a problem, in that the most important chat channels are
> guild/affiliation based. To have these available on an alternative
> server doesn't seem viable if the organisations don't exist
> there. Nor would it be particularly consistent.

> Beyond the chat side, it would also require /who and /friends to
> work cross server, which brings in swathes of other concerns.

Everquest has cross-server chat.  So you would set your eq.ini (or
whatever file it is that reads that stuff) to join, say for
instance, serverwide.ranger, serverwide.guildchannel, and
serverwide.somethingelseofinterest upon entering the game (along
with your regular channels).

You then become servername.charname in all serverwide channels.
It's really pretty slick.  Personally, i can hardly keep up with /g
and /gu, so i don't use the feature.  But I know many, many players
who do.

Serverwide /who would likely be a big mess, but i don't see
serverwide /friends or serverwide '/who guild all' being all that
big of a deal.

Madrona Tree.