Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 19 22:02:11 CET 2002

From: rayzam <rayzam at travellingbard.com>

> But their friends can be experimenting with them on those other
> servers, no?

Sure, but the issue then becomes one of logistics.

Do we all have our "Mains" on the same server?  Or do some of us
have our Tradeskillers on A and our Mains on B, and the others of us
have the opposite?

What if i'm playing my Tradeskiller on B, and you guys are doing
something fun over on A?  How in the world will i know that is
happening, so i can join in on the fun?

What if we're Partners, and you want to play your SwordGuy, but I
want to play my Sword Guy over on B?  (yah yah, no swords in space,
but you get my point)

Factions, too.  Are we all going to be Imperials on A, and Rebels on
B?  But i sort of wanted my SwordGuy to be a Rebel... but that
doesn't really match with what you guys want to do on B.  You really
need me to be an Architect there.

Serverwide Chat fixes many of these issues, especially if Guilds are
allowed Unique Serverwide Names.

>>  It will be interesting to me, to see if SCS produces a very few
>>  tradeskillers.

>  And if a smaller population of primary tradeskillers compares to
>  a larger population of secondary tradeskillers.

I predict that there will be a very small percentage of players who
are pure tradeskillers, or even Mostly Tradeskillers with a little
bit of Combat (enough to kill bunnies and chickens).  I predict many
players will have exactly enough Blaster Repair skill that they can
repair their own blasters, and no more.  I predict that you and I
will split up blaster repair and clothes repair, and I'll sew up the
holes in your knees and you'll de-gunk my blaster, but neither one
of us will use any of our points for anything we don't absolutely
have to.

That's my guess.

>  Would that one feature solve the friends issue for you?

Personally, for me, it's not even an issue.  I prefer to play with
1-3 other people.  As long as I can figure out where they are, I'm
okay.  However, i can see the angst this will cause/is causing for
my EQ guild, and i understand their concerns.

DAOC absolutely fractured them, due to the different realms, and
different classes on each realm.  It was interesting (in a detatched
sort of way) to see them grapple with issues like: "Is it more
important for me to play with you, or do what I like to do?" and "Do
I play this new game with these new experiences and new graphics,
but with nobody I know, or do i go back to the old game with people
I do know?"

No serverwide chat in DAOC meant that nobody knew where anybody else
was playing for the night.  People would log in, see that there was
nobody (or very few) there, and log out, just missing a guildmate
who would log in 2 minutes later, who probably would've been happy
to play with the first guy.

No alt-tab means no ICQ to find people, either.

End result: 99% of them are back on EQ, happily leveling-up and
playing with Planes of Power.

Madrona Tree.