[MUD-Dev] re: DAOC is Disneyland? :) Scale of enviornment

ceo at grexengine.com ceo at grexengine.com
Sun Dec 29 01:53:42 CET 2002

on Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:44:20PM -0500, Amanda Walker wrote:
> Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
> <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com> wrote:

>> The other important factor, that commonly seems to be overlooked,
>> is getting the height, fov and combat range of the player
>> characters right. Its amazing how little of the monsters you can
>> actually see when fighting in 90% of these games.

> Oh, geez.  Not just fighting.  The scale is often wrong overall.
> My first impression of DAOC was that I was playing miniature golf
> or visiting Disneyland.  Don't get me wrong--gorgeous art, but the
> terrain was way out of scale with the characters and buildings.
> EQ, AC & AC2 have less of the problem, though they still suffer
> from the "short jog up to the top of the mountain" problem.  AO is
> fairly reasonable.

ISTR that in Quake1 (or possibly Doom), the player's "eyes" were
positioned at approximately waist or knee height, since anything
else made the world seem "funny". I had this third hand, so it may
be completely wrong :).

OTOH, I distinctly remember feeling rather "tall" playing Thief,
having been used to the Quake1 perspective by that point, so maybe
its true...

[And I used to ahve an awful lot of trouble with contnuously getting
stuck next to walls in Q3 for the first few weeks, because I kept
misjudging whether I'd gone far enough to turn around the corner -
someone suggested it might be a problem with a slightly-reduced FOV
compared to what I was accustomed to from other FPS'ers I was
already playing.]

Adam M