Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (wasComplexities of MMOG Servers))

Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 29 11:59:00 CET 2002

From: "Dave Rickey" <daver at mythicentertainment.com>
> From: "Amanda Walker" <amanda at alfar.com>
>> On 12/17/02 11:45 PM, Dubious Advocate
>> <dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have to second this, if anything, players show a fanatical
> degree of loyalty to their game of choice.  Sure, there's a
> percentage that is waiting to bolt to the next alternative that
> seems viable, but it's fairly small (no more than 15%, as near as
> I can guess).

What you're asserting is an 85% retention rate.  85% of all people
who looked into your product were converted to and retained as
customers?  Or is there a missing set of percentages that we should
also take into account?

That's the danger of relying on an operative phrase of "game of
choice".  Customers who have not been shed off maybe "fanatically
loyal", but that ignores the larger population that left for other
reasons.  Brand loyalty is not equivalent to fanatical loyalty.

There is no recognizance of consumers converted to customers but
then lost.  This is an immature industry.  Most industry uses a
broader definition of "brand loyalty".  This upcoming 2003 year will
see new competitors, new choices, ... and the same old market
realities intruding into this sector.  And that 15% may just alter.

Dave Scheffer