[MUD-Dev] BlackSnow sues Mythic for online property rights

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Feb 7 04:01:36 CET 2002

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Koster, Raph wrote:

> BLACKSNOW INTERACTIVE SUES MYTHIC (DAOC) IN FEDERAL COURT FOR
> MMORPG PLAYER'S RIGHTS

> Caldwell goes on to say, "Mythic's attempt to stifle competition
> in their own game makes it possible for only full-time gamers to
> succeed in the game and most MMORPG players can't compete on that
> level. The person that plays just a few hours a week, can't put in
> the time required to build their character or collect the items
> needed to join others in the online battles.  No one has stood up
> to any of these software giants, until now."

*roll*

Suing because only people who work hard and long to succeed can
win. Lovely.

Out of curiosity though (and maybe Dave Rickey can't answer this due
to the lawsuit), what's the logic behind allowing people to give
away items, but not sell them? Is it just because the incentive for
monetary profit makes something you don't like (maybe you don't care
about people giving away items. I have no idea.) worse? Or is it
because the playerbase objects to this practice, and you believe
you're carrying out their will in trying to stop this practice?

Answers from anyone involved in large projects would be appreciated
(obviously I don't have a problem with monetizing virtual
merchandise).

--matt