"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Feb 7 04:09:11 CET 2002

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Jon Lambert wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> But that's the point. Whether someone can tell or not, it's still
>> a fake persona. And if you can't tell, then I have to question
>> whether you're roleplaying, or just letting a part of your
>> personality shine through that you normally would repress.

> Why does it matter?  I think your notion that either you are
> role-playing OR letting aspects of your own personality shine
> isn't something that is mutually exclusive.  Role-play is
> essentially acting.  Most actors/role-players obviously bring
> something of themselves to their characters whether it be
> knowledge of certain time period, culture, or aspects of their own
> personality.

Well, no, if I can't tell, then I don't care. I'm just not sure it's
roleplaying if it's you, except in the sense that you're playing
you, but in a virtual world. Still, from the perspective of the
player experience, I don't care if I can't tell. I've never had any
sort of extended relationship with someone online where I couldn't
tell, but I've seen it done. Heh, we had a long-time lesbian couple
in Achaea, when, in fact, both of them were males in the physical
world, and neither knew the other was male. It was hilarious to the
administration.

> Regarding your hooker analogy, I think it's merely a case of
> context; a case of being unable to suspend disbelief.  Wives and
> girlfriends are much closer and better at providing that context
> where one can suspend disbelief.  As such they are much more
> successful at playing fake personas IRL.  You never
> know... <tongue firmly planted in cheek>

Chuckle. My girlfriend was reading over my shoulder. She asks that
you please stop trying to blow her cover.

--matt