[MUD-Dev] BlackSnow sues Mythic for online property rights

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Thu Feb 7 11:21:11 CET 2002

From: Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com>

> Out of curiosity though (and maybe Dave Rickey can't answer this
> due to the lawsuit), what's the logic behind allowing people to
> give away items, but not sell them? Is it just because the
> incentive for monetary profit makes something you don't like
> (maybe you don't care about people giving away items. I have no
> idea.) worse? Or is it because the playerbase objects to this
> practice, and you believe you're carrying out their will in trying
> to stop this practice?

> Answers from anyone involved in large projects would be
> appreciated (obviously I don't have a problem with monetizing
> virtual merchandise).

I've been specifically instructed not to comment on the case, but I
did want to point out this thread on /.

  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/06/236208&mode=nested

I've never seen a story that didn't involve the DMCA get that many
comments there.  Lots of interesting statements, pretty much the
whole gamut of reactions.

--Dave