[MUD-Dev] [BIZ] Players - GMs ratio

Robert A. Rice Jr. robert at zreality.com
Thu Feb 7 15:20:29 CET 2002

Mathieu Castelli wrote:

> I have a question, which answers I was not able to find in the
> archives (missing the right key english words ?), regarding
> players /gm ratio.

> That said the question is short :) What are you all aware of in
> terms of paid GMs / subscribers and GMs/players for free MUDs ?

> I'm aware it will depend a lot on game and biz model, none the
> less I'm very interested in everybody's experience.

Greetings all.

Mathieu, as you mentioned, it would have a great deal to do with the
business model and the game. I would also ask what the role is of
the GM.  Are they primarily providing support (bugs, exploits,
player harassment, etc.) or are they also providing content,
programming, and events?

I havent had much experience in this regard to muds, but as far as
commercial MMORPGs (which obviously have different needs) I'd say
maybe 1: 200, maybe with a smaller ratio depending in the
idiosyncracies of the game.  MUDs shouldnt have the same level of
technical problems that a 3D MMORPG has, so I would expect a smaller
ratio, unless you were aiming for a high level of in-game
involvement (events and such).

Using Anarchy Online for the example here, they have between 50,000
and 75,000 users (probably closer to 50k these days). I think their
GM staff (email tech support, in-game bugs/exploits) is around 20-30
(I don't have an exact number) and their support staff is fluctuates
around 200-300 volunteers (players). These guys handle all of the
petitions for help...players stuck in the geometry, reporting bugs,
player harassment, events, weddings, lost items, etc.

I'd be interested in everyone's feedback here as well. I'm curious
of the differences between the support needs for MUDs and graphical
MMORPGs.

Robert
www.zreality.com
~MMOG customer service solutions~