[MUD-Dev] Girl appeal (was: Boys and Girls)

Talies the Wanderer snicker at pinkpig.com
Fri Feb 8 07:51:43 CET 2002

At 12:03 AM 2/8/02 -0800, Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:

>> My anecdote can whip your anecdote.

> But John, that's all this argument is. Everytime I see this tired
> Boys vs. Girls argument brought up here, all I see is everybody
> saying "I know some girl gamers, and they play like this." It's
> all anecdotal. I personally think everyone is talking out of his
> or her respective ass when he or she says "Girls like X type of
> games." I have no problem with sweeping generalizations, but in
> this case I feel like the jury is just not in yet.

I agree.  I know a lot of girl gamers - and no two play the same
games.  I know a few EQ players who wouldn't touch a strategy game
to save their lives.  My girlfriend prefers the Sims, Age of Empires
and Heroes of Might and Magic.  My mother (who's 54), plays every
old Sierra game (Liesure Suit Larry, Space Quest, etc), 7th Guest
and Myst - but surprised me when she told me last night that she's
playing American McGee's Alice (at my recommendation).  It's not
about girls/vs/boys - it's about taste.  Different people have
different tastes - and the sex of the player only really seems to
matter to the other players.

Talies the Wanderer