[MUD-Dev] story vs. screenplay

James Edward Gray II chessman at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 09:00:12 CET 2002

>> And a line for the producer, the one who hosts the MUD.
>
> That role is almost not represented in the game, and seldom even
> figures in the minds of players. I'm pretty certain that that's a
> -good- thing. You set up a world, and then stop interfering (aside
> from Events which can open up new opportunities, or simply make
> things a bit more interesting), letting the people enjoy it.

I don't think you speak for all of us here with this.  I'm designing my
MUD (technically a MOO) with almost the exact opposite in mind.
Administrators for my system can interact with it at every turn.  The
quest engine sits in the background merrily popping out quests
periodically, or admins can give it instructions constructing quests on
the fly.  Admins can "jump into" all critters and NPCs making real
conversations with the shopkeepers and others possible and even creating
opportunities to use them in quests.  Imagine how this changes the
tactics of combat as well.  Admins can construct anything from standard
items to unique gear with custom usage instantly and place it anywhere.
I'm trying to build a world that lives and breathes and while I can
automate a lot, I can't yet script the Spark of Life.  Knowing that, I'm
leaving room to lend it mine.  Personally, this is the kind of system I
want to play on.

James