[MUD-Dev] [BIZ] Players - GMs ratio

Mathieu Castelli mcastell at noos.fr
Fri Feb 8 09:07:31 CET 2002

From: "Robert A. Rice Jr." <robert at zreality.com>

> Mathieu, as you mentioned, it would have a great deal to do with
> the business model and the game. I would also ask what the role is
> of the GM.  Are they primarily providing support (bugs, exploits,
> player harassment, etc.) or are they also providing content,
> programming, and events?

Mainly as content provider since the game I'm working on should much
much fewer technical glitches/ situations solving than graphical
MMORPGs.

> I havent had much experience in this regard to muds, but as far as
> commercial MMORPGs (which obviously have different needs) I'd say
> maybe 1:200, maybe with a smaller ratio depending in the
> idiosyncracies of the game.

Those 200 are paid ? wow

> MUDs shouldnt have the same level of technical problems that a 3D
> MMORPG has, so I would expect a smaller ratio, unless you were
> aiming for a high level of in-game involvement (events and such).

Also the paid/volontary is of crucial importance :)

> Using Anarchy Online for the example here, they have between
> 50,000 and 75,000 users (probably closer to 50k these days). I
> think their GM staff (email tech support, in-game bugs/exploits)
> is around 20-30 (I don't have an exact number) and their support
> staff is fluctuates around 200-300 volunteers (players). These
> guys handle all of the petitions for help...players stuck in the
> geometry, reporting bugs, player harassment, events, weddings,
> lost items, etc.

Thank you very much, that's very useful, and exactly what kind of
info I was looking for.

> www.zreality.com
> ~MMOG customer service solutions~

The big surprise of the mail was the business of your company. I'd
say it's a promising sector but I didn't see it as viable yet. I'd
be very curious about it since some months down the road I might be
a customer !

Mathieu