"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Thu Feb 14 21:18:58 CET 2002

Marian Griffith wrote:
> In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Fri 08 Feb, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> No you don't. It's like claiming that virtual worlds are somehow
>> "not real". They are real, because they are part of
>> reality. There's no way around that

> I have been thinking of this, and I have come to the conclusion
> that "virtual reality" is really a poor choice of words to
> describe what we are talking about . "Non-physical reality" comes
> much closer, but that of course is rather a mouthfull.

I have no problem with the term "virtual world", it simply refers to
the separation between representation and presentation, which is an
extra layer you don't find in the physical world.  The term I do
have problems with and which I avoid using in writing is "RL" (real
life). The term "VR" is better left for pervasive synthetic sensory
stimulation, and is appropriate when compared to other terms in
common usage, such as "AR" (augmented reality).

Ola.