[MUD-Dev] Re: Girl's Perspective (was: Boys and Girls)

Katy Morris cathnm at tr.comm.mot.com
Fri Feb 15 09:28:19 CET 2002

I know a few females have given their perspective, I'd just like to
add my own.

In the past I would say environment was a big factor in why females
didn't play games - but now I think differently.  Girls have the
access to games and computers now, more than they ever did and more
females are playing games, but still nowhere near the number of
males, so we still have to ask why.

The best place to find out why is a psychology class.  Women tend
(note I use tend as it is a stereotype but not all-inclusive) to be
social creatures, they enjoy the physical contact with people -
building relationships and interacting.

As I learned in psychology, females tend to be more extroverted than
males and think in a circular fashion, everything relates to
something else.  Men think in a linear fashion.  If you look at most
games, and the point of gaming in general, it is linear.  Except for
mudding - and I think women are more prone to mud than play any
other kinds of games.

To make a game that females would enjoy, one would have to
incorporate some sort of physical interaction with people or things
- or a game that multiple people would play and interact with each
other.  Over-the-internet games, while including multiple people,
would not suffice as the female is still sitting by herself at her
computer.  The only thing I can think of right now that might come
close is virtual reality.

In the end, even if someone made the perfect game for females, would
females play it?  Probably not.  Why?  Because they'd rather
interact with their friends than sit at a computer.

I would love to do market research on what females like in games and
what females don't like.  I think this topic is fascinating so for
those who might care, here are a few facts:

Games I like:

  Age of Empires
  WarCraft
  Baldur's Gate