[MUD-Dev] EULA Structure

Steve {Bloo} Daniels sdaniels at playnet.com
Fri Feb 15 10:50:04 CET 2002

Eli Stevens wrote:

> This is obviously a branch off of the BSI thread, but I couldn't
> find a suitable entry point to reply from, so I am just striking
> off on my own.  :) Hopefully by removing any reference to the BSI
> thread (except for those two ;) certain list members might be able
> to participate in the discussion.

> I am curious why MMOGs don't use EULA that structures the
> relationship between the user and the company as one akin to rent
> (as in I-need-a-place-to-live-I-should-find-an-apartment).

I think much of it already is, as you suggest by mentioning the
parallels.  You rent time on the servers. You rent the ability to
control a character and digital items that look like swords and
such.  If you don't keep up the rent, not only do they change the
locks, they can auction off all your stuff.  Most EULA's already
prevent the subletting.  A lease agreement is a license of property
rights, not an actual transfer of property.

That metaphor seems to hold up for current EULAs pretty well.

-bloo