[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Peer-to-peer downloads for MMO games

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Feb 22 16:04:18 CET 2002

From: Olof Ekstrom [mailto:olof.ekstrom at abc.se]

> Abstract:

>   A suggestion for use of peer-to-peer technology to limit network
>   demands on servers in massively multiplayer scenarios with large
>   download volumes.

> Please let me know of any reactions. Apologies for the somewhat
> pompous format - that's just my style I guess. I'm not trying to
> stake claims for fame. Apologies also for the longish post, I hope
> some of you found it readable.

Well I like the idea in principle, and its certainly possible to get
around the distribution of hacked files through use of central
authentication/validation etc.

There is however one thing, that I feel might be a serious
problem... To do this, one ends up being given the ip of another
players pc. That opens up a large number of potential attack
possibilities does it not? This is one of the fundamental problems
with the voice over ip type systems too. By removing the central
server, you are adding a huge security risk. Whether the nefarious
people used your distribution mechanism to make a port scan
shortlist to hack your account, or merely packet flood you, the
number of possible abuses strikes me as overwhelming.

Anarchy Online did actually let its files be distributed by people
for the inital pre-patched install. Thats somewhat different however
as one couldn't assume that just because they were hosting the file,
they were a viable hacking target.

One could possibly protect the sender by using spoofed headers on
the patch files packets they send out, but that still leaves the
recipient wide open.

Frankly, if they were really concerned about patch size, I'm sure
more people would be using some form of binary file diff to send
this stuff out.  I suspect major inroads could be made on this
front.

Dan