[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Thu Jan 3 18:32:06 CET 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Tresca <talien at toast.net>

> [SNIP: MMOG's are not...]

>    1) conducive to role-playing
>    2) conducive to long-term gaming styles
>    3) conducive to creating social groups
>    4) discouraging griefers
>    5) rewarding non-griefers

I have to disagree with all of your points:

  1) We just opened our 3rd "Roleplay Server", the essential
  difference is a prohibition on OOC names and public chat enforced
  by CSR's.  Over 30k of our players play on "RP" designated servers
  as their primary characters, and we opened the third because the
  other two were consistently #1 and #2 on the server count.  This
  does beg the question of how you define RP.

  2) The (tens of?) thousands of 3+ year veterans on UO would seem
  to refute that.  In fact, once you've held them for 3 months, you
  usually keep them for 18 months or longer.

  3) The hundreds of guilds in the various games, not to mention
  such oddities as the Reagent Cartels, would seem to be at odds.
  Not to mention the many, *many* fan sites.

  4) Griefers are actually a rarity in DAoC.  Of all the things
  people might complain about, very few would even put grief play on
  their list.

  5) This presumes that you can only discourage griefing by
  rewarding the opposite.  In fact, limiting their options and
  kicking them out promptly works very well.  If you don't have a
  significant population of griefers, and atavistic impulses are put
  to constructive ends, grief play is a non-starter.

--Dave