[MUD-Dev] TECH: Servers in Java

Brian Hook brianhook at pyrogon.com
Mon Jan 7 14:51:02 CET 2002

Emil Eifrem said:

> tricks, the one-thread-per-connection paradigm just isn't a good
> way to use our scarce server-side resources.

Agreed.  But, more importantly, I don't think it's necessary to do
that since, if you're using UDP (which I am), you can just as easily
have a single thread that's responsible for pulling in all that
data.  I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with this, but I
haven't actually done it yet, so I just wanted to make sure that
there wasn't anything wrong with it =)

I'll take a look at Merlin.

Hopefully the other issues you mention with JVMs won't become an
issue with FreeBSD (which is what I intend to use).

Thanks,

Brian