[MUD-Dev] No bots allowed

Alex Kay yak at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 13 14:20:00 CET 2002

From: "J C Lawrence" <claw at kanga.nu>

> Playing a game against/with NPCs is ultimately sterile.  Outside
> of puzzle games player-vs-machine games are something I have no
> patience for any more.  (Arguably puzzle games are basically
> player-vs-self games) Occasionally non-puzzle single-player games
> will last a bit if I can clearly sense the human designer behind
> the game and cam make him either the protagonist or admired
> quality -- but that doesn't last too long.

Funnily enough I feel the same way. However, it only really took
hold after I started playing EverQuest (about 6 months after it
launched). Prior to that I was big time into TeamFortress (Clan and
tournaments) but it never stopped me playing single player
games. Now I rarely buy games, and when I do, it's most likely going
to be a MMOG.

I recall the first thing that attracted me to EQ, besides the
graphics, was the fact there were thousands of people from around
the world playing at the same time, in the same 3D world. It REALLY
impressed me, and all MMOG's since continue to do so. Of course, the
investment in my avatar held me for quite some time, something you
don't have in FPS's.

But at the moment I'm a little disillusioned, primarily with the
lack of progress I feel is being made in furthering the level of
interaction between the player and the environment, and the current,
and apparently obligatory, levelling treadmill.

Alex