[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Jeremy Noetzelman jjn at kriln.com
Mon Jan 14 01:58:57 CET 2002

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Frank Crowell wrote:

>   2. Game must be distributed through GarageGames

Only if you charge for it.

>   4. Must deliver all game to GarageGames (it's not even an offer
>   of first refusal)

See above

> Where i may be worth it -- although I doubt it would happen -- is
> for a nonprofit to get an agreement for a separate low-cost or
> zero cost game system/world/environment.  That way you can save
> the need for having 100 or 1000 lawyers asking the same questions.
> But unless something like that happens, T2 is dead as far as
> general vworld development for the low-end producers.

Another place you can effectively use it is as a tech demo platform
to attract investors/publishers.  GG effectively doesn't care what
you do with whatever you make as long as you a) have a license for
each developer, and b) don't charge for it.  When you start
charging, then you start hitting the meat of the contract.