[MUD-Dev] Commercial web based MUDs

Peter Tyson ptyson at datamonitor.com
Mon Jan 14 08:53:56 CET 2002

> From: Azeraab [mailto:azeraab at dies-irae.org]

> I checked out other web based games like Archmage, Planetarion,
> and Droidarena, and they all seemed to be just barely covering
> costs.

It could well be argued that (among other things!) Planetarion was
the downfall of Barrysworld games ISP here in the UK. I've heard of
no way of making money at these kind of games without charging cold
hard cash, especially when you have users tying up your system for a
long time as they would with a MUD.

You could consider either a small fee to play or small fees to be
able to run more than one character or to get access to some other
kind of content but I think you'd be struggling to cover your costs
by offering the game for free.

Peter Tyson