[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs

Azeraab azeraab at dies-irae.org
Tue Jan 15 09:00:56 CET 2002

At 03:58 PM 1/14/02 -0500, Dave wrote:

> It's the ones that just softly slip away that really bleed your
> bottom line.

I know about 20 people who had at least one character in the 35+
range before softly slipping away from DaoC.  It's a small sample,
but thier concerns seem to mirror the sentiments of those who
stayed.

I was able to talk to 17 of them and get some info on why.  None
posted long rants about quitting (It seems only people who intend to
stay do that) and none gave away any items, but 8 of them did allow
a friend or guildmate to take over their account.

All but 2 restarted as an archer shortly before quitting.

All 17 gave something to the effect of "I dont want to suffer though
leveling anymore" "I dont want to have to level up an archer" "I
dont want to have to gain more levels to remain competative" as
either the most important reason for quitting or the 2nd most
important.  Those who listed it as 2nd most, listed "PvP isnt fun"
as most important.

Most also listed "Difficulty finding a good PvP fight, especially
where there is no NPC interference."  or "PvP balance" as an issue.

There was also a variety of other concerns, but most were only given
by 1 or 2 people, and some like "I just dont like 3d games" can not
be fixed.