[MUD-Dev] text MUDs' character longevity (The Two Towers)

Val Trullinger vtrullin at chapman.edu
Wed Jan 16 10:24:50 CET 2002

Raph had mentioned he was curious about the stats on loyalty for
text muds, so I started a survey and left it up for five days. We've
just run our inactive daemon last week to clear out unused
characters, so our number of registered chars is fairly accurate:
There are 12911 registered characters on The Two Towers. The survey
results are below:

  Issue: char_longevity
    To: all
    Added on Fri Jan 11 14:03:07 2002 by Culfinglin

    Q: how long have you played this current character in rl? (not
    mudtime)

      A1: less than a month  (Votes: 91)
      A2: over one month, but less than three months  (Votes: 110)
      A3: three to six months  (Votes: 165)
      A4: six months to a year  (Votes: 179)
      A5: over one year  (Votes: 181)
      A6: over two years  (Votes: 178)
      A7: over three years  (Votes: 129)
      A8: over four years  (Votes: 83)
      A9: over five years  (Votes: 75)
      A10: over six years  (Votes: 80)

Total number of characters voting: 1271

So 1271 chars got logged in over five days, which is very roughly
10% of our total. Unfortunately, I don't have any stats on why
people left over the years. If someone's actually interested in
this, I could scour the backups and go through the character
generation logs and see how many characters were playing in 1995 as
opposed to now, when they left, etc., but that's quite a bit of work
and would take quite some time...

Val Trullinger