[MUD-Dev] GDC (was RE: Majestic and Failure of Episodic Games)

Sellers Sellers
Wed Jan 16 11:59:26 CET 2002

Matt wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Christopher Allen wrote:

>> The article's main point was that in general, the 'game play'
>> sucked.

> Amusingly, one of the sessions at GDC this year is called "Viva la
> Evolution". It's on episodic games, by Neil Young. You have to
> wonder why a guy who led a game that failed so miserably (as I
> understand it at least) is giving a lecture on the strength of the
> episodic model. Yet another reason I shan't be giving GDC my money
> this year.

Indeed.

You have to remember that GDC's decisions about speakers and topics
were made *last summer*!  In terms of changes in the industry,
that's almost a ridiculously long lead time.

GDC is a great place to network and seems to be almost necessary for
those just getting into the industry, but its utility for me has
fallen well below its cost.  Too bad too.

Mike Sellers