[MUD-Dev] Commercial web based MUDs

Peter Tyson ptyson at datamonitor.com
Mon Jan 21 11:28:10 CET 2002

> From: J C Lawrence [mailto:claw at kanga.nu]
>> Peter Tyson <ptyson at datamonitor.com> wrote:

>> I think you'd be struggling to cover your costs by offering the
>> game for free.

> Minor observations:

>   A web based service very nearly maximises your bandwidth costs..

>   Telnet or custom protocol/client services allow bandwidth
>   use/expenses to be optimised

Yes, excellent point. If you could make a downloadable client you'd
keep your bandwidth cost down enough to perhaps break even on web
advertising.  You'd have to get pretty ruthless tho and demand a lot
of customer info.

Also keep in mind the audience you find playing your games may not
be the audience that advertisers want. Find some 50s+ couples with
piles of cash and web-savvy and I bet you'd have piles of good ad
offers. A bunch of 18yr old gamers are less attractive ;)

I say make something good and worthwhile and charge people a bit for
it. If they aren't willing to pay, are you really making something
new, interesting and fun? If no one is prepared to pay, perhaps you
aren't! In which case, why bother? :)

Peter