[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Mon Jan 21 15:28:43 CET 2002

From: "Frank Crowell" <frankc at maddog.com>
> From: "Valerio Santinelli" <tanis at mediacom.it>

>> Monolith is offeringa real expensive SDK. They're asking for a
>> $100,000 base license that can grow if you want to support
>> multiple platforms.  At the moment I'm evaluating their
>> development system (LithTech) and I cannot say much about it. The
>> best thing about it is that it's got a lot of tools to create and
>> edit your models and animations, and levels also. And they're
>> giving you a full featured assets manager, where you can load
>> your level and place your monsters and objects and associate a
>> behaviour to every one of them and you're set with a fully
>> populated level without having to write a line of code.

> Is the asset manager part of their "free" tools or is it part of
> the pricey SDK.  Monolith is very strange.  They can't decide
> where they want to be.  A couple of years ago they had offered a
> very nice SDK for free -- I still have mine somewhere.  Plus they
> were suppose to work on machinima tools and create a great VR
> cinema machine.  Where did that project go?

I still have their free SDK lying somewhere. And I think you can
still download it from somewhere on their FTP site. I happened to
stumble upon it some months ago.  The assets manager is part of the
free tools. In fact it's distributed freely to the mod-making scene.
Now they're moving toward the MMORPG stuff.. their next version of
the SDK is going to be a kit suitable for large distributed games.

--
Valerio Santinelli
HateSeed.com Founder (http://www.hateseed.com)