"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Thu Jan 24 20:42:29 CET 2002

(Replying to a message on MUD vs MMO, but not discussing that)

"Koster, Raph" wrote:

> The word "advanced" says again to me that you are applying
> particular biases. They're just a KIND of gamer, not an advanced
> level of it.

I keep wondering why commercial designers keep saying stuff like
that.  Follows the line of statements we get to see like "we are not
going to have a RP server, because there is no common definition of
RP", "regular players RP too in their own way", etc... RPers are
quite obviously often more advanced in the way they use the game,
because they use the game on multiple levels and in ways which has
not been designed for and provide significant enjoyment (or the
opposite) for other players as well. Now, the commercial designers
treat them as "just a kind of gamer" because they dont constitute a
significant population...

> The argument you've just made is that they are *consumers* of
> roleplaying. I agree 100% with that assertion. That does not mean
> they are *producers* of said content. I define roleplayer as a
> *producer* of said content.

Producers are often "more advanced" in their approach than
consumers, right?

> The fallacy I see in your argument as a whole is that you seem to
> be equating "the ability to effectively roleplay as a style" with
> "the percentage of individuals who do so in the playerbase," and
> it's just not the same thing.

True. An interesting point is that it also seems to be much easier
to approach roleplay with non-roleplayers in a world with well made
animated female characters and a rich selection of clothing, such as
AO.  Indeed, many of the RPers I encounter seem to have female
characters...

> You mention group departures; social spaces are particularly
> vulnerable to this because, after all, roleplayers can do their
> thing with just IRC.  Chatters can do it with darn neara any

Well... I can't.  You might as well state that RPGers can just do
their thing with IRC or web as well.

> communications medium. The chat spaces failed to offer significant
> value added and were not, by and large, able to monetize the
> presence of the users.

Heh. If the hamsterwheel is value added... It certainly is far from
significant content being added. Actually, Active Worlds probably
achieves a lot more, albeit for fewer and older users.

> The building model was successfully co-opted to a limited extent
> by Ultima Online, and given the success of that limited co-option,
> almost every game since has followed suit to one extent or
> another--in fact, I'd say that the integration of a crafting
> paradigm into the basic advancement game mechanic is much MORE
> widespread in MMOs than it is in muds.

*cough* What has "crafting" to do with building? Crafting is the
same as fighthing, it is just another mindless harvest and convert
resources activity.

Ola.