"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Michelle Elbert michelf at silverspoonandpaperplate.com
Wed Jan 30 00:25:35 CET 2002

From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>

> Now, I agree that roleplayers are not "more advanced" -- they're
> just playing the game in a different way.  However, I don't see
> how roleplaying, in and of itself, denies someone any interaction
> with other people.

Well, I think what he means is that when you're roleplaying,
generally, you're "talking funny".  Non-roleplayer types can tell
you speak, say, English... But you're not using it in a way they are
familiar with.

Some people will find it annoying (as per Jar Jar Binks), some
people will find it difficult to understand (as per Shakespeare),
and as such, they will probably decide that they just don't want to
have to deal with you.  Thus you are denied interaction with these
people, who, for whatever reason, avoid you because of the freaky
way you speak and act...

On a Call of Cthulhu related message board that I don't pay nearly
enough attention too anymore, I play(ed) a character called
"Bumpkin".  Bumpkin had a rather complicated syntax.  Now she is
generally well liked, but there are some people who simply can't
handle it when I post as her.  And to tell you the honest truth,
after creating a secondary character who speaks normally, I
discovered that most of the people who get headaches from Bumpkin's
posts are people I'd rather not have to socialize with anyway.

But that doesn't make me more advanced then those people, it just
makes me a freak who likes to talk funny.  There are people who can
roll with that, and people who can't.  And each "group" has to deal
with the other on some level, even if it means ignoring each other
for the most part.

- Michelle