[MUD-Dev] Enforced log out aka "real sleep"

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Wed Jan 30 13:45:56 CET 2002

"Brian Hook" <brianhook at pyrogon.com> wrote:

> Related to this is the idea that characters must "sleep" in-game
> in order to avoid fatigue.  In a single player RPG, this is
> instantaneous (tap the "camp" button, bam, you're good to go for
> another 24 hours).  On-line -- obviously not.  Most games I'm
> aware of just avoid the issue.  So again, I'm curious if anyone
> has come up with something particularly crafty to address this.

For our in-progress game Lovecraft Country, the 'schtick' is that
events of the game only happen at night. Basically all the players
are at Miskatonic University, and it is assumed that they do boring
things like jobs, classes, etc. during the day.

So twice a day, everyone is ask to return to their homes, and sun
rises, bookkeeping is done on boring items like classes, work, food,
etc. -- and then sun sets and they can go play again. What we
haven't figured out is what happens when they don't return to their
homes, or how to force them and still seem in-character.

-- Christopher Allen